Tuesday 3 February 2009

POPS

My Dad died on December 19, 1988. That night I tried to book a flight to return to the US on both PANAM and TWA, but was wait-listed on both flights. Subsequently, I took an Air India flight the following morning. The PANAM flight was the Lockerbie flight, blown out of the air by Libyan agents.
The shock of a death, even one which was the end of a long and painful process of deterioration, took about six years to bubble up to the surface, and erupted in a very painful period of introspection and doubt when I was stricken with glandular fever.
I wrote this poem shortly thereafter.
THE MOST BEAUTIFUL IDEA
The most beautiful idea on the face of the earth is the idea the child has that his father knows everything. Jack Kerouac The Town and the City
Memories beat inside a hollow chest
As I awaken to a sledgehammer of sorrow
I hear you say:
The best of thoughts are tears
When words will soothe tomorrow
I feel the circle close
As your lifewill's slowly broken
You're gone
And now it's me who knows
The truth of what you've spoken
Father, further will I try to band
That ring each has of winning
But sometimes
An end must be at hand
To realise a beginning.

-----------------------

To my Dad.
With love.
November 1994

No comments:

Post a Comment